Saturday, April 2, 2011

Burrowing Owl in the Morning




We originally set out at 4:30 A.M. to see if we could locate wild horses near Casa Grande Arizona. Long story short we didn't see any horses but the sunrise was quite beautiful and held a few surprises for us.




After taking a left when we should have gone right we found ourselves deep in farm country which was quite nice at that time of day. At one point we spotted this little guy sitting beside the road. I have only seen Burrowing Owls a couple of times so I was very happy to have a chance to get a couple of pictures. I expected to get a couple of distant shots and was surprised that this bird was not giving up any ground. At one point it flew to a nearby post and showed it's annoyance with me by bobbing up and down and scolding me but did not offer to fly away.

Burrowing Owls, so named because they live in burrows in the ground, have disappeared in much of their historic range and you can learn more about the Burrowing Owl at: www.defenders.org/wildlife_and_habitat/wildlife/burrowing_owl.php

3 comments:

  1. I could look at your photos all day and night. Simply stunning. <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post Ray. I also saw a few of these recently...at the National Zoo. Would love to see one wild someday soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow..so cool.. Hope all is well with you..Happy Birding!

    ReplyDelete