Saturday, January 16, 2010

Species Diversity

We wanted to stay in the city but still get out and spend some time with nature so we headed off to Sweetwater to see what we could find there for wildlife. For those of you who have never been to Sweetwater it can be a species filled morning with perhaps over one hundred different birds and animals in this tiny oasis.This is one of a family of Harris's Hawks that makes Sweetwater it's home.



Right off the bat we spotted Northern Pintails which we had not seen here before.

Next up was this Pied-Billed Grebe in winter plumage.

This little guy is a difficult ID for me but I was hoping someone would be able to help me with this one. My expert in Massachusetts tells me this is a female Ruddy Duck.

At one point I slipped off the trail to see if I could get a shot of a Yellow Warbler that was flitting nearby and this male Bobcat walked slowly by me maybe seven feet away. It showed no concern that I was there stopping to mark it's territory and moving twenty feet away, cleaning itself and then laying down in full view of me.

The American Coot is the most vocal water bird at the marsh.

Blackbirds are everywhere in both small and large flocks.

I believe that this is an immature White Crowned Sparrow but my sparrow skills are sadly lacking so I could be wrong.

We were fortunate to spot this life lister for both of us. The Black Throated Gray Warbler is a great find and one of the highlights of the day.

I think this is a Lincoln's Sparrow which if I am correct would be another life lister for us.



The Abert's Towhee keeps very close to the underbrush so that it can scurry to safety and feed at the same time.

These Lawrence's Goldfinches were a nice surprise and another life lister for us.

The Yellow Warbler is an elegant little creature that I love to see over and over.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sending me your link on your visit to sweetwater...We went back again yesterday..
    I am sure it wont be the last time before we leave the area..
    Always fun to see so many birds in one place!

    ReplyDelete