Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Solitary Sandpiper


This Solitary Sandpiper has made it's winter home in the middle of Tucson Arizona for at least the last two seasons. The Solitary breeds in the far north boreal forests and traditionally winters from mid Mexico and throughout Central and South America. I can count this bird a true rarity for me along with the Curved-billed Ani, both seen this year at Sweetwater Wetlands.
I located a very interesting account of Solitary Sandpiper ranges and behavior that I have included a link to here: http://www.borealbirds.org/birdguide/bd0237_species.shtml  As you will be able to see from the distribution/migration maps there's not much to indicate that this bird should be here but seeing a rare bird is a part of what makes bird watching interesting and fun.
A few of the other birds that I spotted at Sweetwater included Sora, Moor Hen, Yellow-rumped Warbler, Song Sparrows, Spotted Sandpiper, B+W Warbler, Northern Harrier, Harris's Hawk and the ducks have increased in numbers 10 fold since my last visit a few weeks ago. Lots to see and I plan on a visit this afternoon to do a little walking and birding.



No comments:

Post a Comment